Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Cyber Monday

I love that some underpaid marketing intern probably came up with this and now everybody is using the term like they've known about it for years. I'll admit it, I never heard about Cyber Monday until I saw it on Amazon. Ah, the power of marketing. Perceptions truly are reality. (To quote a former boss and PR legend.) If you make think people they can get a good deal they'll flock to the stores (Black Friday) or online. I fell victim to both. I went out on Black Friday and quickly realized it was so not my scene. I am a browser and that was no day for browsing. I then thought I'd try my hand at Cyber Monday, since I love online shopping for the very reason you can easily browse, price compare, read reviews, check out quickly, etc. Then this Cyber Monday nonsense started and every website I tried was sooooooooooooo slowwwwwww. I found some good deals on some things I totally didn't need to buy at americangirl.com and after 2.5 hours of trying to check out -- I was multi tasking, thank goodness -- they shut down the site with my wilderness outfits for doll and girl in my basket. Just like that, gone. Imagine, you are in Wal Mart then you all of a sudden you're on the pavement holding nothing. But I have to appreciate the power of marketing and the ability for a well coined phrase has to wreak havoc on the masses.

No comments:

Post a Comment